John Gettrust was our President during 1934-35. Our club’s membership had dropped to 50 members, still the result of the Great Depression.
Major Roy Smith through his efforts as Vice President of the Lamson & Sessions Company, donated to the city of Kent, a track of land along the Cuyahoga River for a municipal park system. A committee of Rotarians was name to aid the city in developing and beautifying the park project on the land recently donated.
Major Smith was the first member of our club to be named a board trustee of Kent State University, an honor bestowed by Governor Davey.
We moved our meeting place from the Robin Hood Restaurant  to the hotel, which had change its name from the Franklin Hotel to Hotel Kent.

Kent Rotary lost one postmaster from its membership and gained a new one when Leo Bietz was commissioned on May 1, 1935. He succeeded W. W. Reed whose term of service had expired.  In later years, Merle Andregg, also a Kent Rotarian, was name Kent Postmaster.

More moments from our history,

Jim Myers



Sponsors